02 August 2020 last updated at 09:53 GMT
 
ICC throw WC lifeline to minnows
Monday 27 June 2011

The International Cricket Council have given non-Test playing nations a glimmer of hope for competing in the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup.

World cricket’s governing body said in a statement that its chief executives' committee had recommended a qualifying process for the 2015 tournament, without specifying how many teams it wanted to see taking part in 2015.

"The CEC recommended that there should be a qualification process for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 but did not make a recommendation to the ICC executive board on the number of teams that should compete in the event to be held in Australia and New Zealand," the ICC said in a statement on its website following a two-day meeting in Hong Kong.

It’s believed that the ICC is not keen on organising another seven-week long tournament and is in favour of keeping it a 10-team affair. But a separate qualifying tournament could be organised, which would give the minnows a chance of reaching the event.

 

Govt approval, IPL schedule, sponsors to be discussed in IPL GC
It is expected that president Sourav Ganguly, secretary Jay Shah, both of whose “cooling off waiver” case is in Supreme Court will be attending the meeting as permanent invitees
BCCI names IPL COO Hemang Amin as Interim CEO
The move comes after Rahul Johri stepped down from the role of the Board Chief last week